Sunday, November 26, 2006

Kramer and Apologies

If you haven't heard, that guy Kramer (Michael Richards) from Seinfeld is a bad comedian. Oh yeah, he also called two black guys niggers. Why he thought that was funny I'll never know. Why two black guys went to see Kramer do Stand-up I'll never know either. The two men exhibited poor judgement. Kramer's behavior is deplorable.
Jerry Seinfeld had Kramer appear on Letterman to apologize or whatever he could do to show remorse.
The two men got lawyers. They want an apology. I am going to assume monetary compensation since that is why one gets a lawyer. I don't know what they hope to achieve or believe they deserve.
An apology when you get a lawyer involved is meaningless. It has been forced. Michael Richards may be a good enough actor to make it believable, but no more sincere.
Will an apology make what he said disappear? Do these guys care what this jerk thinks anyways after this incident? Why wouldn't they want the whole thing to go away? What is their concept of justice?
Money. This must be the reason.Why?
Is it a First Amendment issue? You can't say nigger anymore? You definitely shouldn't, but can't.
Are people no longer allowed to be offended? Will law boil down to whim?
I use poor language too frequently and at the wrong times maybe, but should I be punished?
Why should someone's hurt feelings be a claim on your wealth? Will only rich people be able to afford to be offensive? Will poor people be jailed for being offensive?
My sympathy ends for those guys when they get a lawyer. There was no contract or law violated.
So they get $50,000? Are they going to buy a car? Then every time they go into their driveway they could say "there's the car I bought with the money I got from Kramer for calling me a nigger."
Some things are worth forgetting. I would think that this would be one of them. I also have not been told my whole life that I live in a racist country and people treat me differently for the color of my skin.

No comments: