Saturday, November 25, 2006

Saturdays as a Bartender

I have worked in bars for many years now. Mostly on weekends because that is where the money and work is. I am used to it.
However, there is always this limbo with my time between shifts. You can't do what everyone else is doing. Chances are, you will have to leave just as things are getting going. I usually end up on my couch going through a r.e.m. sleep of television and napping. There is nothing to watch. It seems the one good thing the television industry does is put horrible programming on Saturday afternoons so you have to get out and go do something. This does not help me.

Let's run down my Saturday options.

1)Go to a Bar and have a beer.
I just left a bar. I do not want to go near another drink until I am back at work.

2)Spend time with friends.
Sounds good. But most have already made their plans. They are going to San Fran. There is a wedding. There is a party I will leave early.

3) Go to the store and get some shopping done.
I tried this one time. the place was so full of other people and their families I left before I got what I wanted. Nothing but wall to wall noise. Not what I need between busy nights of the bar biz.

4) Relax with a book, movie, or video game.
What do you think I have been doing the rest of the week?

5)Get a Hobby
You're looking at it.

That beer sounds pretty good.

No comments: