Tuesday, December 04, 2007

You’re supposed to blog every day?

Well, I don't blog everyday. I think I will try from now on to do just that. It was easy when I was in Europe and something new crossed my path.

Here are two things I thought about today.

Karma.
I am not sure that anybody knows what this word means. Lots of people think you have to do something good to have good karma. I would point out that this is more of a Christian concept in our society as opposed to a Buddhist one. Many people act like Christian but are afraid to stigmatize themselves as such, especially here in California. Neither religion is practiced by the people who like to throw this word around. Practicing a religion does mean that you actually go to their house of worship or perform a rite. Back to Karma.

I don't think it will improve my Karma if I give you a tip for charging me for coffee that I pour myself. I also won't tip you for doing a regular job like making me a sandwich or heating up a slice of pizza.
I may sometimes if I go there often, but it feels a bit like a hassle to see a tip cup, when not much is really being done to earn a tip. Seeing a tip cup where no tip is justified may actually deter me from going to a place.
Bartenders and servers have a greater measure of responsibility that a barrista or a cashier, that is why they are tipped professions.
I think tipping a cashier will get you bad Karma for being a dumbass.

Here are some definitions of Karma:

  1. Hinduism & Buddhism. The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.
  2. Fate; destiny.
  3. Informal. A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling: There's bad karma around the house today.
I wonder if my fate will change for not giving fifty cents to the sub shop cashier??

Next topic:Job search tips

I got these in my email today. They are the Seven Deadly Interview Sins. When I read them, I didn't know how people could not already have these figured out. They are basic. Let's consider each one.

Showing up late. This doesn't work when you have the job. I tried this once after I stayed late at work the day before. I got yelled at by my boss. I never worked late again.

Inappropriately dressed. After living in California so long after growing up in New York, I can't tell what this means anymore. These people dress like they are going to Target everywhere they go. Unless you are 25 and going to the club, then you need a striped shirt and some hair gel.

Lying. Employers don't respect liars? Well, I'll be damned. You can only lie to them after they hire you. Then, be the first one to lie to them so they are more likely to believe you.

Bringing your parent to the interview. Mommy, tell that man to give me a job. They also don't take notes from them when you are sick. You gots to go to a "office" doctor.

Not knowing your own 'History'. I thought most places were looking for a tabula rasa so they could mold you according to their mission statement. I guess I am wrong.

Cellphone/pager beeping buzzing. What if I get a better offer while I am in the interview? You have to keep your options open all times. I do, That is why I have time to write this blog right now. I got work in a bar and wear
crazy pants, my options are open. Anyways, my phone is my office, I am in their office, they have a phone that might ring. It is only fair.

Not asking questions. I think I am finished here.


No comments: