Saturday, March 24, 2007

One Bridge




These are two views of the same train station in East Berlin. I still call it that. I don't remember people trying not to call the East side of Berlin East Berlin. It isn't the official name any longer, but it was for a long time. And the two sides are still very distinct.

If you like blight, try east Berlin. I assume the rents are lower. My bed at the hostel was much cheaper than when I stayed on the West Side.

In the States, the East side of town is usually the better, or more expensive side of town. Scottsdale is on the east side of Phoenix. Fairport is on the east side of Rochester. I guess that goes to show how much Communism can really screw up the natural order of things.

The reason I took these pictures is I think the station is so remarkable. I didn't expect to see something like it on this side of town. Nothing else surely was up to par with this urban structure. Brick is never really given its due. Or maybe it isn't power washed so it can look it's best.

The only yellow train in Berlin also stopped at this station.

I am not engaging in any sort of brickophilia. I think I liked seeing the contrast. My time in Berlin was split between the either side of town. Where was there more fun to be had? The east side. What was cleaner and safer looking? The west side. Why do you care? Maybe you do not.

I don't know when this structure was built. Before or after the fall of the Wall. It would matter if I were a historian. (Then you would all see what I could do.) I don't know anything other than I like the way this looks.

It shows that you never know what you are going to get. When I got off the the train at Warshauser Strasse, I had never been so underwhelmed by a first look at a part of town in my whole life. West Berlin looked like a place I wouldn't mind spending time. It wasn't. East Berlin looked like a place that had nothing much to offer. It wasn't.

That is one reason why I like to amble when I travel. Agendas and plans are for politicians and businessmen. I am looking around to see what will surprise me next.

No comments: