Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Station



This is the main railway station in Zurich, Switzerland. You cannot be in Zurich without coming to this place sooner or later. I would be curious to know which person who lives or has been in Zurich and has never been there.


This is the center of all activity in the city.


Really, this photo only shows the main hall. All the trains are at the far end or down below.


This place also boast a shopping arcade, casual and fine dining, and shower facilities. All come in handy for the traveller.


The Zurich denizens also seem to know their trains by heart. Nina (ex-girlfrined, Zurich resident) knew exactly where she had to go to catch a train and at what time. I was constantly scouring the schedule to make sure I wasn't late or that I tool the fastest train. How do you spot an out of towner in Zurich? They have looked at the train schedule for more than 20 seconds.

The hall you see is used for all types of community activities. In the winter I don't think it gets much use. Last April, when I was there, it hosted: a farmers market, a volleyball tournament, and a concert by Tokio Hotel.
Zurich has many other great things besides a good train station. More about that later. Don't go thinking that I wish I was there or that I think it is better than the United States. It's good, just different.



No comments: