Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Buongiorno Sicilia


Category: Dreams and the Supernatural


There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving. That feeling said to go to Sicily. So I did.

As far as I can tell, my great great grandfather left this island in 1883. he never returned. I don't know who in my family has. I may be the first in the line to come back here.

Sometimes I see why he left. The city crowds the hill it is on. Aprtments are jammed next to each other like angry co-workers at a telemarketing call center. It is easy to tell whose baby is crying.

The ancient beauty is unmistakable. The city owns that distinct mediterranean feel. Termini Immerse is its name. The country side has volcanic hills covered with greenery. This is one of the most exceptional place I have ever seen.

I think he didn't return because he wouldn't want to leave again. I know I don't.

So I went from Zurich to rome to Palermo. It took a whole day. good thing I could make a hotel reservation at the train station for Palermo in Rome. Theses rooms haven't been cheap. For the asthetics you pay.

I am feeling better than I ever have. Maybe it's the weather or the coming home feeling, or that oath I swore on that canoli. Probably all three.

Palermo was great. I had a wonderful meal. 3 courses and marsala digestif. It only took an hour to pay. who says they aren't go getters on the islands.

Everywhere you look there are the names of your friends from America. Longo, Corso, Rugerio, Sansone, Lo Duca, Battaglia, Ventura, and so on.

People look familiar as well. It is nothing like I have experienced anywhere else in Europe so far.

I will leave tomorrow. Off to Rome.

I need to get a bed. Bye.

No comments: