Thursday, January 11, 2007

Playing Catch(up)


Been sorta busy.....here's what happenend.
Tuesday morning I caught the local train to Turgi. Near there, Vögelsang is where Tim Merkel (Fairport,NY) lives with his wife and children. He teches English and takes care of the kids. She, Dagmar, works full time at a power production company. No au pairs for this pair. Their children are Hannah, 3, and Jamie, 14 months. Very cute blond kids.
Tim and the kids and I went to the Rigi, the closest mountain to zurich. I had been last year, but there is nothing like a ride up a Swiss mountain. We took the gondola from Weggis and the train to the top.
Since there is little to no snow this year, the place was abandoned. We were lucky to get something to eat as everything was closing early due to the lack of customers.
The view was still exceptional. It is so remarkably different than anything I am used to seeing inthe states. White snow hugging black rocks lording over the clouds.
On the way back down, we could see the lights of the lake towns. There were even ferry boats in operation, the lake hasn't frozen. The city light over three lakes was new to me, so peaceful. To anyone nervous about heights, it gets easier everytime you ride the gondola. If it doesn't, close your eyes.
We left for the in-laws, as it was Opa's 76th birthday. An Austrian by birth, he's been in Switzerland for 40 years. I can't really say what and where Tim's in-laws are all from. I thought his wife was German, some in her family are, some live in Germany, some are Hessians, and they talk funny, but I didn't meet any of them.
Dagmar's brother and wife were very nice. He gave me a Dutch beer called Anker. Their four boys all look like smaller versions of the other, and they love to have Tim's kids to play with, since that keeps them from being the youngest any longer.
The lady of the house made a delicious goulash, which must mean beef soup, cause that's what it looked like, which was served with rolls.
Dessert was vanilla creme banana roll and sweet bread.
From there, Tim and I returned to Zurich to practice with his baseball squad, the Zurich Lions. Only about 5 guys showed up. We ran double play and grounder drills. An unexpected event.
I drove the family van back to Vögelsang and stayed the night is the guest room after a little american style channel surfing on the Eurocable. The broadcasting standards are a little more liberal on this side of the pond. And they show just as much hockey.
Next morning we walked the neighrborhood with the kids. The sun came out, apparently a rarity in switzerland winters. Thus, all the going to the mountains on weekends, to see the sun.
Tim's house and property back into a river. This has got him into kayaking, which will soon replace baseball as his main exercise. Also, he plans on redesigning the yard and the garden cottage to make his promising English instruction school more appealing.
I took the 14:28 back to Zurich and walked from there to Mona's. She left the key for me, thank goodness and consideration, so geting to rest my dogs was no problems. After a quick rest, for some reason, I was really head tired this day, I called Nina to get together.
I walked to her place. It isn't far. I will walk more, it just isn't really worth the fare each time to ride the bus. Baseball practice proved I need the exercise.
She let me in and we had tea and sweets. Her new place is great, roomy for city standards, and functional. Even small balconies for nice evenings. If you look over at the neighboring building, you can see them all cooking or showering at the same time. The clock making has worked its way into the DNA I guess.
We talked about this or that and I learned something new about her. SHE LIKES JäGERMEISTER! I don't know how this one got by me but it did. As If I wasn't already sold. But it isn't all up to me.
We went to a bar by the Central tram station, about 1km from her flat. We drank jäger over ice and talked about this or that. We are getting along well. No romance though.
To be honest, I would rather hang around Zurich all day just to meet her for coffee or a drink, than travel Europe. Cause when she is there, other places don't matter.
But that's not what I am gonna do. I am off to Amsterdam, on the overnight train, for a few nights to see Ben Ottewell from Gomez play live. After I meet Nina for a drink, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Chief writes you this message in the black magic of the white man (smoke signals too slow and inaccuarte this time of year in sacramento) Jefe I haven't read the blogs yet but am about to. Just wanted to let you know I am listening, and curious and want as many ridiculous details as you can push yourself to type out! Please.

Love, Peas, and Carrots,
joelrenecano