Sunday, January 07, 2007

Three King's Day

In Switzerland, January sixth is Three Kings Day. they bake a special round bread that has six rolls attatched to the side. In one of the pieces, there is a plastic king figurine. Whoever finds it, and doesn't get it caught in their throat, is the King for a day.
For my day, I went to the store to pick up bloody mary supplies, a favorite of my hostess, Mona. the store had no horseradish. I think she takes them without, so no problem. I went to the store with her roommate Julien. He is Swiss-English, Swinglish, and chose zurich over London. The store had only 2 kinds of vodka, Wyobrodka and Smirnoff. And I picked up some Feldshlossen beer, the local Old Style.
After returning to the flat, Julien went off about his day and Mona finally returned from the Mountains. They do that alot here. She was at a Betty Ford party, the opposite of rehab. irony is alive and well `im Schwiez.` We proceeded to drink Koteli, a sweet swiss liquor and exchange pleasantries and cigarettes.
Mona's friend Mary arrived for dinner a little later. Mona prepared Sausage with beets and carrots over rice. delicious. Mary brought along some traditional sauce from the Philippines, as her mother is from there. Mary neither speaks spanish or is Catholic, a first among anyone I have met with that heritage. She was very nice and is in teaching like Mona and Nina.
After a fine dinner, Mario, Nina's brother, came by to say hello and go with Mona to a party. I declined as I wasn't sure how long I would have the energy to stay awake.
I can't say enough about how nice everyone I have been around has been. Great for a first day!
A funny thing happened on my way to this flat yesterday, someone asked me for directions to some street around here. I had no idea, and they spoke german, not my first language.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With hаvin ѕo much wrіttеn content dο you еver run into any isѕues of plagorism or coρyright infгingement?
Мy blog has a lοt οf eхсlusive contеnt ӏ've either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any techniques to help prevent content from being ripped off? I'd gеnuinely appгeсiate іt.


Нere іs my homеpage; benefits of using tens units during pregnancy

Anonymous said...

Nice respοnd in return of this queѕtion wіth real argumеnts and telling everything abοut that.



Μу webρagе: tens therapy