Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ahh..the good ole days.

People always long for days gone by. They have wishful phrases they repeat to no end. "When I was a kid, people didn't lock their doors at night." "Back in the day we used to...." "Remember the time we...." "When I was a kid...." "Before when you drove home drunk, the cops would give you a ride, not a night in jail." Are things so bad today that we should spend time hoping they will be like yesterday?

Me, I live for the moment. That's why I'm blogging more. Right now in fact.

Where the old days so great? I think I like to day better.

Yeah, there's a war on, but when isn't there. A lot less people are dying in this one. We probably won't end up conquered from losing this one. At least not soon. World War II, Hitler wasn't stopping. The Civil War, bloodbath city. And think of those wars before we had guns and could shoot each other from a safe distance away. People would run at you with a big hunk of metal and try to remove your limbs from your body

Houses. Never better. I can't stand these steel windows in my apartment. They suck whatever cold is outside and bring it right into my apartment. Now everything built has double paned and insulated vinyl windows. Your friend in the hot or the cold. How can it get better?

Work. More people have jobs than ever before. Most of them aren't hard labor, they are jobs using your mind. We have so much work that you don't even need to speak our language or enter the country legally and you can get a job.

Movies. I may write a blog next week about how movies are dead. They are. but they've never looked better. They can make a movie to look like anything anyone can dream up, and it won't look fake. Return of the King I bet most of that movie was never even built, it was all virtual. It was one of the best looking movies I have ever seen.

Sex. Hhmmm. That's up to you. It don't matter what year it is.

Alcohol. Nowadays, most alcohol you can buy won't make you blind. Remember prohibition? Of course not, only really old people do and they don't use computers. Back them you had to buy it illegally and it could kill you. It also could tatse so bad that you had to mask the flavor with anything. That's how we got mixed drinks.

Computers. Now we have them. Before we didn't. I don't need to visit libraries anymore. This thing still angers me, but no one can see me in my apartment pounding my fist on my desk.

Cars. They are faster, better, and more fuel efficient.

Yeah, I like today. I'll leave the 'wishing for the past' to the Commies and the Native Americans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wish things were cheap like the "good ole days" but I still made my current salary, but that is not very Friedmanesqe of me. I miss the old Nabisco Heyday Bars, they don't make them anymore but besides that you can have the "good ole days".