Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ends with a Prom.....

Is there a movie about the high school experience that doesn't include some kind of pivotal moment that occurs at the Prom? Yes, it's called a climax. But like most of you, I didn't climax at my prom. I'm still waiting for that to happen any formal event.
What's the deal with that? Is it not possible to sell a script about the high school experience that doesn't follow the last year with the mandatory dress-up gala? Even Napoleon Dynamite, a unique cellulose oeuvre, had the big dance.
Sixteen Candles doesn't have a prom, but is still has a dance. So does Dazed and Confused. Is this all there is to coming of age? Sure doesn't seem like much. That's disappointing.
I think back about those days, prom certainly wasn't the be all and end all. I hardly remember it. I would have skipped it except you are trained to think you might be missing something. You also expect maybe something will happen, almost conditioned to, and if it doesn't the night is a failure.
Now I get it, it is a metaphor for life. You get ready, all primed for something to happen. You spend years educating yourself. You get some money saved up. You pick out the nicest set of clothes you can find. You set your hopes up to the sky. But it's just a nice car ride and a good meal.
Many of life's big events are like this: Prom, Wedding, Graduation, Funeral.
Life's real BIG events are in between, but you don't know when they will happen. So you have to be ready all of the time. That's why people hate thinking of a great comeback 5 minutes after the fact. They miss a carpe diem moment. They should be more clever.

Here are some words people use in place of being clever.

Naked (a real attention getter)
I'm Jewish (some comedians never let you forget)
Jesus____(Lizard, built my Hot Rod, and Mary Chain)
God_____(flesh, head)
The Devil______(wears Prada, in Miss Jones)

Have you seen that show Little People, Big World? It's about a family started by a vertically challenged couple. It was on in the bar Monday night. We didn't have the sound up, so you had to guess what they were saying. The mom(Amy) is giving her son(Zach), also a dwarf, a haircut. Here's how I think it goes...

Amy: What do you think son? Do you like it?
Zach: It makes me look short.

I couldn't help it. I am still laughing even now.

No comments: